Associate Editor - Walter MagazineMcClatchy
The Walter Magazine Associate Editor is responsible for ensuring consistency and accuracy of all editorial content.
The associate editor works closely with the editor to copyedit, fact-check, report, and write stories; and also works regularly and closely with the art director and community manager to communicate editorial workflow.
The associate editor is responsible for the final copyedit of every issue, incorporating AP style, publication style, and standard grammar. Additionally, the associate editor carefully fact-checks all stories.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The associate editor produces 10+ short, time-sensitive stories for every issue. This often includes collecting image assets.
- The associate editor receives these assignments from the editor, meanwhile working to discover new content and pitch ideas to the editorial team. The associate editor also writes e-newsletter content, and regular long features.
- The associate editor maintains organization on every level of the editorial process. This includes keeping content lineups updated and reminding team members and contributor about upcoming deadlines, as directed by the editor.
- The associate editor works closely with the community manager to generate issue details, including table of contents, contributors, masthead, social media feedback, crossword puzzle, and The Whirl pages. The associate editor contributes to Walter website upkeep as needed.
- The associate editor serves as an integral, willing part of the editorial team for any miscellaneous tasks. This may include office organization, mailing copies to featured subjects, fielding customer service phone calls, and event preparation.
- The associate editor also regularly engages with the advertising director, account executives, and event coordinator, as well as the editorial team, to strategically envision and communicate Walter’s content.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- 1-3 years of relevant experience preferred.
- Must have valid NC Driver's license.
The fulltime position includes a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. The News & Observer is an Equal Opportunity Employer.